How do I wipe my computer before recycling? In Windows 10, go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery. Click the Get started button under the Reset this PC section. You are then asked if you wish to remove apps and settings but keep your personal files or remove everything. Choose the option for Remove everything.
Do I need to wipe hard drive before recycling computer? Before donating or recycling your computer, you need to completely wipe or remove the hard drives. By doing so, you will ensure that the data on the hard drives will be completely erased and untraceable by data thieves.
How do I remove personal information from my computer?
- Click Update & Security.
- Go to the left-hand side, scroll down and click on Recovery.
- From there, go to Reset this PC.
- A prompt will appear with two options, Keep My Files or Remove Everything.
- Click the Change settings option.
- Turn the Data Erasure toggle switch to on.
How do I destroy my old computer hard drive? If scratching the platters with a screwdriver is too pedestrian for you, these disks can be destroyed in a number of other creative ways. You can use sandpaper, a rotary tool—fire, even—as long as the surface of the disk is scratched or burned off.