Backpacking is a great way to explore the outdoors and get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Whether you’re hiking through the mountains or camping in the woods, having a reliable source of power is essential. That’s where a solar charger comes in handy.
A solar charger is a device that uses the power of the sun to charge your electronic devices. It’s a great way to keep your phone, camera, or other gadgets charged when you’re on the go. For backpackers, a solar charger is an essential piece of gear that can keep you connected and powered up even when you’re miles away from civilization.
When it comes to choosing the best solar charger for backpacking, there are a few things to consider. The most important factor is the size and weight of the charger. You want something that’s compact and lightweight, so it won’t weigh you down on the trail. Additionally, you’ll want to look for a charger with a high power output, so it can charge your devices quickly and efficiently.
We spent hours researching and testing various solar chargers to identify the best option for backpackers. In the next section, we’ll share our top pick and explain why it’s the best choice for anyone looking to stay powered up on the trail.
Top 3 Best Solar Charger for Backpacking
As avid backpackers ourselves, we know the importance of having a reliable source of power while on the trail. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best solar chargers for backpacking. These chargers are lightweight, durable, and efficient, allowing you to keep your devices charged no matter where your adventure takes you. Whether you’re a weekend warrior or a thru-hiker, these solar chargers will help you stay connected and powered up on the trail.
If you’re looking for a reliable and high-capacity solar charger for your backpacking trips, the Hiluckey Solar Charger is a great option to consider.
- With a 25000mAh capacity, this solar power bank can charge an iPhone up to 6 times, a Samsung phone up to 4 times, and a tablet up to 2.5 times, making it perfect for longer trips.
- The charger comes with 4 high-performance solar panels that can reach 6W in direct sunlight, ensuring that your devices stay charged even in places without electricity.
- The upgraded 15W output allows the portable solar charger to fast charge an iPhone to 50% in just 30 minutes. It also features one USB C port and dual USB A ports, enabling simultaneous charging for up to three devices.
- The solar charging feature may not work as well as expected, especially if there’s no power left in the power bank. It’s recommended to charge the power bank with a USB adapter instead.
- Some users have reported that the solar panels may take a while to charge the power bank, so it’s best to charge it fully before going on a trip.
- The charger doesn’t come with a hook to hang it on a backpack, so you’ll need to find a way to attach it yourself.
Overall, we highly recommend the Hiluckey Solar Charger for backpackers who need a reliable and high-capacity power bank that can be charged using solar energy. Its fast charging capabilities, high capacity, and built-in LED light make it a must-have for all kinds of emergencies.
If you’re looking for a reliable solar charger for backpacking, the Mregb Solar Charger is a great option.
- The Mregb Solar Charger is made with strong professional ABS material that is resistant to chemicals, heat, and has a super surface hardness, high elasticity, and toughness. It is also IP67 waterproof, drop-proof, and dust-proof, making it perfect for extreme environments.
- This solar charger is compatible with all USB devices, including smartphones and tablets. It has two USB output ports and can support the QC3.0 fast charge protocol if the device is compatible.
- With a battery capacity of 42800mAh and more than 1600+ charging life cycles, this solar charger is very reliable and durable. It uses high-density batteries to load a larger capacity without changing the volume and weight, allowing you to get rid of the anxiety and worries about the depletion of the device power anytime and anywhere.
- The solar charging function is affected by the instability of sunshine intensity and duration, and the charging will be very slow. It should be used as an emergency function. For daily charging, it’s recommended to use a charger with a power above 5V2A to charge the device.
- While the Mregb Solar Charger has a super bright LED flashlight with a long range that can work continuously for up to 100 hours, some users have reported difficulty turning it on and off due to the button being tough to operate.
- The product is a bit heavy, making it less ideal for ultralight backpackers.
Overall, the Mregb Solar Charger is a great option for those looking for a durable and reliable solar charger for backpacking. It’s perfect for extreme environments and has a large battery capacity, making it a great choice for longer trips.
If you’re looking for a reliable solar charger for your backpacking trips, the BigBlue Solar Charger is a great option. We’ve used it on multiple camping trips and found it to be a reliable and efficient way to keep our devices charged.
- The upgraded triple USB-A ports allow you to charge multiple devices at once, and the smart charge technology ensures optimal charging speed for each device.
- The highly efficient SunPower solar panel can convert up to 24% of solar power into free energy, making it one of the most durable panels available.
- The compact and lightweight design makes it easy to pack in your backpack and take on your camping or hiking trips.
- The charger can’t store electricity, and it can’t charge laptops or iPad Pro.
- Any cloud cover or shade can significantly reduce the charging speed.
- The USB-A port is somewhat exposed and may require extra handling care to avoid scratches or damage.
Overall, we highly recommend the BigBlue Solar Charger for backpackers and campers who need a reliable and efficient way to keep their devices charged. With its fast charging technology, durable solar panel, and compact design, it’s a must-have for any outdoor adventure.
If you’re looking for a reliable solar charger for your backpacking adventures, the Riapow Solar Power Bank 26800mAh is a great option.
- The wireless charging feature is truly cable-free and supports all QI-enabled phones for inductive charging.
- With an ultra-high capacity of 26800mAh, it can deliver up to 6 charges for iPhone 14, 5 charges for Galaxy S21, or 3 charges for iPad mini.
- It can charge up to 4 devices simultaneously at full speed, and auto-detects your devices’ current to deliver the fastest possible charging speed.
- The solar panel is not very efficient and takes a long time to fully charge the power bank.
- It’s a bit heavy and bulky, which may not be ideal for ultralight backpackers.
- The flashlight is not very bright and may not be suitable for nighttime activities.
Overall, the Riapow Solar Power Bank 26800mAh is a reliable and versatile solar charger for backpacking and outdoor activities. Its wireless charging feature and ultra-high capacity make it a great choice for those who need to stay connected on the go. However, its heavy and bulky design may not be suitable for ultralight backpackers, and its solar panel may not be very efficient in charging the power bank.
If you’re looking for a reliable and versatile solar charger for your backpacking trips, the BLAVOR Solar Charger Power Bank is an excellent option.
- With over ten years of experience in solar power banks, BLAVOR is a brand you can trust. They use the highest-grade materials to provide the most reliable and safe products to customers.
- This charger features leading USB C input/output technology and Qi wireless charging, making it compatible with almost all smart devices. It can charge up to three devices simultaneously, and it has multiple output/input methods, freeing you from worries of a power outage.
- The BLAVOR Solar Charger Power Bank is the smallest and lightest portable charger on the market, with a real-rated 10,000mAh battery capacity. It can charge an iPhone 8 3.6 times, an iPhone 14 Pro 2.2 times, and an iPad Air once when fully charged.
- The solar charging feature is not as effective as advertised. It’s more of a backup option than a primary charging method.
- The included charging cable may not work properly, but you can use other type C cables.
- The design could be more stylish and modern.
The BLAVOR Solar Charger Power Bank is a great investment for anyone who needs a reliable and versatile power bank for their outdoor adventures. It’s made of safe and durable materials, and it has a compact and lightweight design that makes it easy to carry around. The dual super bright flashlights and included compass carabiner are great features for outdoor enthusiasts. Overall, we highly recommend this product.
If you’re in the market for a reliable solar charger for your backpacking trips, the WONGKUO Solar Charger Power Bank is a great choice.
- With a 36800mAh battery, this charger has a long life and can support repeated charging more than thousands of times.
- The dual USB output port makes it easy to charge two smartphones simultaneously or any device.
- The portable solar charger comes with a built-in LED flashlight with 3 different lighting modes, which is perfect for emergency situations, power outages, and camping.
- The solar charging speed depends on the intensity of light and its influence on the area.
- It is recommended to fully charge the power bank with an outlet before traveling, with solar charging as an alternative.
- The skin-feel high-elasticity rubber cover on the bottom 3 charging ports may wear out over time.
We recently took the WONGKUO Solar Charger Power Bank on a backpacking trip and were impressed with its performance. With a large battery capacity, we were able to charge our smartphones multiple times without having to worry about running out of power. The dual USB output port made it easy to charge two devices at the same time, which was very convenient. The built-in LED flashlight was also a nice addition, and we found it very useful during our camping trip.
While the solar charging feature is a great addition, we found that it was not as fast as charging the power bank with an outlet. It is recommended to fully charge the power bank with an outlet before traveling, with solar charging as an alternative. Also, the skin-feel high-elasticity rubber cover on the bottom 3 charging ports may wear out over time.
Overall, we highly recommend the WONGKUO Solar Charger Power Bank for backpacking and camping trips. Its large battery capacity, dual USB output port, and built-in LED flashlight make it a reliable and convenient choice for outdoor adventures.
If you’re looking for a reliable and eco-friendly solar charger for your outdoor activities, the YELOMIN Solar Charger is a great choice.
- With a total power of 74Wh, this solar charger is suitable for air travel and can charge multiple devices simultaneously.
- The built-in 2 LED flashlights and compass make it an essential outdoor equipment.
- Made of eco-friendly material, this solar charger has a waterproof and dustproof function, making it durable and long-lasting.
- Solar charging can give you a trickle of current and takes a long time to charge.
- Not suitable for mobile phones with USB C.
- The output charging may not be as fast as other power banks.
This solar charger is a high-quality portable device that can be recharged by sunlight or outlet. It has multiple protections, including over-current, over-voltage, over-load, and short-circuit protection.
In terms of compatibility, the YELOMIN Solar Charger is highly compatible with multiple devices, including your iPhone, Go-pro Camera, Tablets, and other USB electronic devices.
The solar charger features 2 powerful bright flashlights and a compass, which is essential outdoor equipment. The indicators indicate the status of the battery charger timely. The green light is on when charging by a solar, blue light is on when USB charging.
Overall, if you’re looking for a reliable and eco-friendly solar charger for your outdoor activities, the YELOMIN Solar Charger is a great choice.
We highly recommend the Kepswin Solar Power Bank for anyone in need of a reliable and powerful solar charger for backpacking and other outdoor activities.
- The 42800mAh high-capacity premium polymer battery provides ample power and has passed certifications like UL, CE, FCC, RoHS, and UN38.3. The powerful safety system ensures temperature protection, over-voltage protection, over-current protection, short-circuit protection, etc., stabilizing the equipment and ensuring its safety in use.
- The built-in 3 Outputs & 2 Inputs ports (USB C input/output, Micro USB input, USB A&B output) allow for charging up to 3 devices simultaneously. The solar phone charger is compatible with most devices on the market such as iPhone, iPad, Samsung, HTC, LG, and other Android phones, making it a versatile and convenient option.
- The multi-functional LED flashlight, with three modes (Steady-SOS-Strobe), can last up to 100+ hours when fully charged, making it an essential part of your “traveling essentials bag” for daily life, travel, hurricane prep, outdoor camping, cycling, fishing, hiking, kayaking, etc.
- The charging speed via solar panels is subject to sunlight intensity and panel conversion rate, so it may take a long time to charge the battery bank using the solar panels. The primary means of charging the battery pack is via USB charging, and solar charging is for emergency backup use only.
- The solar charger is relatively large and may not be the most compact option for backpacking or other outdoor activities.
- Some users have reported issues with the charging indicator lights not working correctly.
Overall, the Kepswin Solar Power Bank is an excellent choice for anyone in need of a reliable and versatile solar charger for backpacking and other outdoor activities. With its high-capacity battery, multiple charging ports, and multi-functional LED flashlight, it is a must-have for any outdoor enthusiast.
If you’re looking for a reliable and versatile solar charger for your backpacking trips, the QiSa Solar Charger is definitely worth considering.
- With a massive 38800mAh battery, this solar power bank is perfect for those who need to stay connected on the go.
- The wireless charging function and two 5V3.1A USB output ports allow you to charge up to three devices at the same time, making it a great choice for group trips.
- The power bank is waterproof, drop-proof, and dust-proof, so you don’t have to worry about it getting damaged in extreme environments.
- While the solar panels can provide some extra energy to the battery, they are not very efficient and it can take a long time to fully charge the power bank using solar power alone.
- The wireless charging function only works with Qi-enabled devices, so if your device doesn’t support wireless charging, you’ll have to use a cable.
- The power bank is quite bulky and heavy, so it may not be the best choice for those who want to travel light.
In our experience, the QiSa Solar Charger is a reliable and durable option for backpackers who need to stay connected on the go. The built-in smart chip ensures that your devices are charged safely and efficiently, while the bright flashlight and LED indicator lights are useful for outdoor activities.
If you’re planning a long backpacking trip and need a reliable power source, the QiSa Solar Charger is definitely worth considering. However, if you’re looking for a lightweight and compact option, you may want to look elsewhere.
If you’re looking for a reliable and durable solar charger for your outdoor adventures, the Hiluckey Solar Charger is definitely worth considering. With its fast charging speed, solar charging capability, massive battery capacity, and rugged construction, this portable solar charger is a great investment for any backpacker.
- The 22.5W fast charging speed can charge your iPhone 11 up to 65% in just 30 minutes.
- The 4 solar panels can generate up to 6W of power in direct sunlight, providing a reliable source of energy when you’re off the grid.
- The 27000mAh battery capacity can charge an iPhone 8 times or a tablet 3.5 times before needing to be recharged.
- The solar charging capability is not very efficient and may not be sufficient to fully charge the power bank.
- The charger may take longer than 5 hours to fully recharge, depending on the charging source.
- The charger may not be compatible with all devices and may require additional adapters.
We recently took the Hiluckey Solar Charger on a backpacking trip and were impressed with its performance. The fast charging speed allowed us to quickly recharge our devices, while the solar charging capability provided a reliable source of energy when we were away from power sources. The massive battery capacity ensured that we had enough power to last for several days, and the rugged construction held up well against dust and drops.
Overall, we highly recommend the Hiluckey Solar Charger for anyone looking for a reliable and durable solar charger for their backpacking trips. With its fast charging speed, solar charging capability, massive battery capacity, and rugged construction, this portable solar charger is a great investment for any outdoor enthusiast.
If you’re looking for a reliable and powerful solar charger for your backpacking trips, the Mregb Power Bank Solar Charger is definitely worth considering.
- The solar charger comes with a high-precision compass, making it a handy tool for outdoor activities like camping, cycling, fishing, traveling, hiking, and beaches.
- The charger is compatible with most devices, thanks to its built-in 2 USB Outputs with 5V/3.1A fast charge and support for QC 3.0 protocol. It can fully charge a device quickly and allows charging of 3 devices at the same time.
- The charger has a built-in LED lamp on the bottom and a hook on the corner, making it a great choice for camping, hiking, climbing, fishing, and more. With the carabiner, it can be hung from a backpack.
- The solar charging feature is meant for emergency purposes only, as the small panel size and uncontrollable sunlight intensity make it difficult to produce high-intensity power from sunlight resources.
- The charger is a bit heavy, weighing in at 10.5 ounces, which might not be ideal for ultralight backpackers.
- Some users have reported that the solar charging feature is not very effective and can’t produce enough power to be useful in a real emergency.
Overall, we highly recommend the Mregb Power Bank Solar Charger for backpackers who need a reliable and powerful charger for their devices. With its high capacity, compatibility with most devices, and built-in LED lamp and compass, it’s a great tool to have on any outdoor adventure.
When choosing the best solar charger for backpacking, there are a few key features to consider. These features will ensure that your solar charger is reliable, efficient, and durable.
The power output of a solar charger is measured in watts. The higher the wattage, the faster your device will charge. However, higher wattage also means a larger and heavier solar panel. It’s important to find a balance between power output and portability. Consider the power needs of your devices and choose a solar charger that can meet those needs without being too bulky.
The portability of a solar charger is crucial for backpacking. Look for a solar charger that is lightweight and compact, with a foldable or rollable design. This will make it easier to carry in your backpack without taking up too much space or adding too much weight.
Backpacking can be rough on your gear, so it’s important to choose a solar charger that can withstand the elements. Look for a solar charger that is waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof. This will ensure that your solar charger can handle rain, dirt, and bumps on the trail.
Make sure that the solar charger you choose is compatible with your devices. Look for a solar charger with multiple charging ports and different types of connectors, such as USB and USB-C. This will allow you to charge a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and cameras.
Some solar chargers come with a built-in battery, which can be useful for charging devices at night or during cloudy weather. Look for a solar charger with a battery capacity that can meet your needs. Keep in mind that a larger battery capacity means a heavier and bulkier solar charger.
By considering these key features, you can choose the best solar charger for your backpacking needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some top-rated solar chargers for backpacking?
There are several top-rated solar chargers for backpacking, including the Anker PowerPort Solar Lite, the RAVPower Solar Charger, and the Goal Zero Nomad 7 Plus. These chargers are lightweight, portable, and efficient, making them ideal for backpacking trips.
Which solar charger brand is the most reliable?
There are several reliable solar charger brands on the market, including Anker, RAVPower, Goal Zero, and Nekteck. Each of these brands offers a range of solar chargers that are durable, efficient, and easy to use.
How long does it take for a solar charger to fully charge?
The time it takes for a solar charger to fully charge depends on several factors, including the size of the charger, the amount of sunlight it receives, and the capacity of the battery it is charging. Generally, it takes between 4 and 8 hours for a solar charger to fully charge a smartphone or tablet.
What is the average lifespan of a solar charger?
The average lifespan of a solar charger depends on several factors, including the quality of the materials used, the frequency of use, and the conditions in which it is used. Most solar chargers have a lifespan of between 2 and 5 years.
Are there any solar chargers that are waterproof?
Yes, there are several solar chargers on the market that are waterproof, including the Anker PowerPort Solar Lite, the RAVPower Solar Charger, and the Goal Zero Nomad 7 Plus. These chargers are designed to withstand rain, snow, and other harsh weather conditions.
Can solar chargers charge multiple devices at once?
Yes, many solar chargers are designed to charge multiple devices at once. However, it is important to check the specifications of each charger to ensure that it is capable of charging all of the devices you need to charge simultaneously.